The Treasurer's Office oversees all funds that pass through the City daily. The Treasurer is responsible for all monetary collections including property taxes, special assessments, water and sewer billings, building permits, rehab loans, miscellaneous billings and other city charges.
The Treasurer's Office provides assistance and information in the following areas:
- Property tax
- Special assessment information
- Utility bill payments
- Inspection permits and invoice payments
2015 Tax Due Dates
Application for Deferment of Summer Taxes - 2015
- Summer 2015 taxes will be mailed the first week in July and will be due on August 20, 2015.
- Winter 2015 taxes will be mailed the first week in December and will be due on February 14, 2016.
- All unpaid Property taxes are transferred to the Kent County Treasurer’s Office for collections on March 1, 2016.
- Make checks payable to City of Kentwood
- Mail to: P.O. Box 8848, Kentwood, MI 49518
- Postmarks are not accepted as date of payment. Payment must be received no later than August 20th to avoid 3% penalty and 1% interest.
- Cash, Check, or Credit Cards are accepted at City Hall Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
- Fee to use Credit Cards is 3% of payment, minimum of $2.
- Pay by phone at (844)-400-3552
Summer Property Tax Deferment:
Provided by Act 97 P.A. of 1992 qualifying taxpayers may defer the payment of their 2015 summer taxes until February 14, 2016. Taxes may be deferred on a homestead if household income did not exceed $40,000 in 2014 and the taxpayer qualifies as defined in the General Property Tax Act as one or more of the following:
- Citizen, 62 years or older.
- Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, or Quadriplegic.
- Eligible Serviceman, Eligible Veteran, Eligible widow or widower.
- Blind person.
- Totally and permanently disabled.
Application must be filed by September 14, 2015.
Frequently Asked Questions
Calculating Tax Bills
To calculate property tax, use the formula; Taxable Value x Millage Rate = Tax. The millage rate is the total number of mills being levied divided by 1,000. Millage rates are calculated in the spring for the summer collection and in the fall for the winter collection.
The taxable value of property is determined by the assessor and is reported on the assessment change notice, mailed in February.
2015 Millage Rates
Dog License Purchases and Renewal
The City of Kentwood offers Dog License purchases and renewals. A current rabies vaccination and certificate are required by law in order to purchase a dog license. You may obtain your license at the Treasurer's Office Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.