Text size: A A A

Kentwood Committees & Boards
Historical Commission
Minutes for 02/17/2005

(Back to index)

MINUTES
CITY OF KENTWOOD
HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
February 17, 2005

Chair Middlewood called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.

1. Roll Call:
Members present: Middlewood, VanDyke, Pacic, Thompson, Boisvenue
Members absent: Heyboer and Agostinelli with notification
Others present: Robert Kline and Historic Preservation Interns Sarah Hogan.

2. Approval of Minutes

Motion by VanDyke supported by Thompson to approve the minutes of January 20, 2005 with corrections as presented.

- Motion carried -

Before moving on to the next item on the agenda, chair Middlewood introduced Sarah Hogan, the newly appointed Historic Preservation Intern to the Commission, and the members welcomed her to the Commission.

3. Project Reports:

a. Oral History: Thompson indicated that Pete and Jo Lachniet turned down the oral history interview request and Judith Wily could not be contacted.

Middlewood stated that a follow-up interview needed to be scheduled for the transcriptions for Bob Bendel and Judge Kelly. Kline wanted to know if Forest and Edna Keys have been contacted for Oral History Interviews. It was mentioned that they were not contacted yet, and would be contacted soon.

Thompson asked about the status of Cy Fisher?s interview. She was informed that Fisher?s tapes along with several others are currently being transcribed by Ms. Brunner. With regards to the Oral Histories, Middlewood mentioned that Ms. Brunner reported that the tapes had a humming sound (noise) and that could be significantly reduced with the use of microphones.

Staff indicated that he would do some research on the microphones and see if they could be procured in short order.

Staff mentioned that Hogan would be reviewing and revising all release forms including those for the Oral Histories.
Middlewood mentioned that a blurb on the Oral History project was incorporated in the newsletter for Leisure Acres.

Also the Girls Scout group interested in conducting Oral History interviews has not yet contacted to set up a time for their training.

b. Heritage Room: Middlewood explained the work Hogan would be doing in the Heritage Room. She added that some brochures were received from the City Clerk?s office that could be added to Heritage Room Collections.

c. Barn Survey: There were some problems with the barn database that slowed down the project. The Girls Scouts are yet to contact Dale to work on his Barn.

Middlewood reported that there would be a Barn Preservation Conference on March 11, and March 12, which among others would have a session on the Barn reassembling. The conference will be in Lansing.

d. Pine Hill Cemetery? The Girls Scouts found some discrepancies between the various records that they started with and plan on doing a ground check to verify those. The inclement weather conditions have slowed down this project.

e. Website: Staff noted that Sarah would be reviewing the website and she will come up with recommendations for the additions /deletions / corrections if any. She will also look at possible enhancements and added functionalities.

4. Letters of Appreciation? The letters of appreciation for Tom Henry and the Kentwood Women?s Club were signed by two of the Commission members.

5. Publicity:

Brochure for historic points of interest: Options are still being explored to finance the brochure for the historic point of interest. One option would be to print a copy of the brochure, and then photocopy them as and when needed.

Open house: Agostinelli was not present for updates. Kline indicated that he would be able to scan the slides for Boisvenue for the latter?s presentation for the open house

6. Commissioner?s Comments/Other Business:

Middlewood provided an overview of a few upcoming conferences: Michigan in Perspective ? organized by Wayne State University; Preservation Creates Cool Cities ? organized by MHPC; and a grant writing workshop in July.

Middlewood also presented a copy of a contract between John VenderLaan a local barn builder and William Schantz for the Commission to look at before adding it to the Heritage Room collection.

7. Next Meeting: The next meeting was scheduled for March 17, 2005, at 6:30.

8. There being no further business before the Commission, a motion was made by Thompson, supported by Pacic, to adjourn. The motion carried.

The meeting adjourned at 7:27 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,


Debargha Sengupta
Planning Staff